News & Events
Announcing Made in NYC Week 2019
Made in NYC will kick off Made in NYC Week 2019 next Thursday, October 3rd. The annual celebration, which runs through Friday, October 18th, includes dozens of events, workshops, factory tours, and panel discussions anchored around the work of local manufacturers across the five boroughs. Over the course of the 16-day celebration, New Yorkers and visitors will get a behind-the-scenes look at New York City’s manufacturing sector and the spirit of creativity that animates it.
One of New York City’s greatest assets is its diversity, and the local manufacturing sector represents a bright spot on the path towards building a more inclusive economy. Since April 2018, 70% of new Made in NYC members were minority and women-owned businesses. Programming at this year’s event will reflect the diverse and dynamic Made in NYC community, and elevate those voices across all programming. The full calendar of events during Made in NYC Week can be found at the link below.
The first-ever Made in NYC Pop-up
Open daily 10/11-10/17 from 11am – 8pm at 323 Canal Street
At the center of Made in NYC Week is the first-ever Made in NYC Pop-Up, a brick and mortar storefront and event space showcasing original products made by some of New York City’s most innovative manufacturers — Lexy Pexy’s eco-chic modern baby teethers and toys, SSY Designs’ luxury shoe accessories, Automic Gold’s fine jewelry handmade from reclaimed materials, Raaka Chocolate’s dark chocolate made from scratch, and Sadowsky Guitars’ internationally renowned electric guitars and basses. Available daily will be NYC roasted coffee from Cantave de Saint Marc and Bronx-brewed beer from The Bronx Brewery, as well as food tastings from NYC bakers and makers of local snacks, granola, and even Brooklyn’s own bloody mary mix.
Free events exploring and celebrating NYC’s manufacturing community at the Pop-Up include:
- Kids Day Workshops – Young makers of tomorrow are invited to a maker workshop by the New York Hall of Science and a DIY-engineering workshop led by STEM-focused toymaker Teknikio. Parents can peruse locally made toys and children’s clothing (10/14 from 11am – 4pm).
- Intersections: Sustainable Fashion & Equity Panel – Local fashion industry leaders discuss the future of sustainable fashion in NYC and the imperative of workforce and entrepreneurial development for women and communities of color (10/15 from 6:30pm – 7:30pm).
- Intersections: The Future of Sustainable Food Panel – This panel discussion will explore the future of sustainable and circular food production and distribution in NYC (10/16 from 6:30pm – 7:30pm).
Open House New York Factory Friday
Friday, 10/18 from 9am – 6pm across all boroughs.
Made in NYC has teamed up with Open House New York (OHNY) to present Factory Friday on October 18th. On Factory Friday more than two dozen local manufacturers across the city will open their doors to the public, giving visitors a chance to hear their stories and see up-close how everything from fabric flowers to steel beams are made.
Neighborhood Marketplace Takeovers
Various times and locations beginning 10/3.
This year, Made in NYC has partnered with a number of New York City’s most beloved local marketplaces to spotlight products manufactured by Made in NYC members, including:
- Art & Social Activism Market on the Lower East Side Oct. 3 and 4;
- Hester Street Fair will host Made in NYC Oktoberfest featuring drinks by local breweries on Oct. 5;
- Fashion, Art and Design (FAD) Market at City Point on Oct. 5 & 6;
- Van Duzer Artisan Market at St. George Greenmarket in Staten Island on Oct. 5;
- Grand Bazaar on the Upper West Side will host a Made in NYC Food Court Takeover on Oct 6;
- Artists & Fleas in Williamsburg on Oct. 6.